Death certificates cost $10.00 for each copy.
The Vital Statistics Office in Leon County issues death certificates for deaths that occurred in the state of Florida from 2009-present.
Any person of legal age (18 years or older) may be issued a death certificate without the cause of death showing on the certificate. There are no restrictions on the issuance for them.
Death certificates with the cause of death showing on the certificate can only be obtained by the following people:
- Decedent’s spouse or parent
- Decedent’s child, grandchild or siblings, if of legal age (18)
- Any person who provides a will, insurance policy or other document that demonstrates his/her interest in the estate of the decedent.
- Any person who provides documentation that he or she is acting on behalf of any of the above named persons.
Information Needed to Obtain a Death Certificate
- Full name of decedent
- Date of death
- County of death
- Applicant’s relationship to the decedent
- Purpose for the certified copy
- Signature of the applicant
- Mailing address
- Copy of valid photo identification (front and back) is required for all requests for certificates with cause of death listed.
If the death occurred before 2009, write to:
State Office of Vital Statistics
P.O. Box 210
Jacksonville, Florida 32231-0042
Please visit the bureau of vital statistics’ website for more information.
If death did not occur in Florida